Academic Areas: Condensed Matter Physics, Computational Materials Physics
Research Interests: High-spin-polarized material, shermoelectric materials, spintronic devices and spin caloritronic devices
Dr. Guoying Gao received his Ph.D. degree in Condensed Matter Physics from Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), Wuhan, China, in 2008. After graduated from HUST, he joined the School of Physics, HUST. He is presently an Associate Professor in the School of Physics, HUST. His research was focused on the design of high-spin-polarized materials (half-metallic magnets and spin gapless semiconductors), thermoelectric materials, spintronic devices and spin caloritronic devices, by using the first-principles combined with nonequilibrium Green’s function and Boltzmann transport equation. As the first or corresponding author, he has published more than 40 SCI papers. He is the reviewer of more than 20 SCI journals including Appl. Phys. Lett., Nanoscale, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Phys. Lett. A, etc.
PhD in Condensed Matter Physics, 2008, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
2012-Present: Associate Professor, School of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
2008-2012: Lecturer, School of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
1. G. Ding, G. Y. Gao∗, Z. Huang, X. Zhang, and K. Yao, “Thermoelectric properties of monolayer MSe2 (M=Zr, Hf): Low lattice thermal conductivity and promising figure of merit”, Nanotechnology (in publication 2016).
2. G. Ding, J. Carrete, W. Li, G. Y. Gao∗, and K. Yao, “Ultralow lattice thermal conductivity in topological insulator TlBiSe2”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 233902 (2016).
3. G. Gao∗, G. Ding, J. Li, M. Wu, K. Yao, and M. Qian, “Monolayer MXenes: Promising half-metals and spin gapless semiconductors”, Nanoscale 8, 8986 (2016).
4. G. Ding, G. Gao∗, and K. Yao, “High-efficient thermoelectric materials: The case of orthorhombic IV-VI compounds”, Sci. Rep. 5, 9567 (2015).
5. F.-X. Zu, G.-Y. Gao, H.-H. Fu, L. Xiong, S.-C. Zhu, L. Peng, and K.-L. Yao∗, “Efficient spin filter and spin valve in a single-molecule magnet Fe-4 between two graphene electrodes”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 252403 (2015).
6. G. Y. Gao∗ and K. L. Yao∗, “Surface half-metallicity of CrS thin films and perfect spin filtering and spin diode effects of CrS/ZnSe heterostructure”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 182405 (2014).
7. G. Ding, G. Y. Gao∗, and K. L. Yao, “Thermoelectric performance of half-Heusler compounds MYSb (M = Ni, Pd, Pt)”, J. Phys. D 47, 385305 (2014).
8. G. Y. Gao∗ and K.-L. Yao∗, “Antiferromagnetic half-metals, gapless half-metals, and spin gapless semiconductors: The D03-type Heusler alloys”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 232409 (2013).
9. G. Y. Gao∗, L. Hu, K. L. Yao, B. Luo, and N. Liu, “Large half-metallic gaps in the quaternary Heusler alloys CoFeCrZ (Z=Al, Ga, Si, Ge): A first-principles study”, J. Alloys Compd. 551, 539 (2013).
10. G. Y. Gao∗ and K.-L. Yao∗, “First-principles prediction of half-metallic ferromagnetism in five transition-metal chalcogenides: The case of rocksalt structure”, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 113703 (2012).
11. G. Y. Gao∗, B. Xu, and K.-L. Yao∗, “Surface-induced truly half-metallicity in VTe with rocksalt structure from first-principles calculations”, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 103703 (2012).
12. G. Y. Gao∗, K. L. Yao, and N. Li, “Preserving the half-metallicity at the surfaces of rocksalt CaN and SrN and the interfaces of CaN/InN and SrN/GaP: a density functional study”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 23, 075501 (2011).
13. G. Y. Gao∗, K. L Yao, Z. L. Liu, Y. Min, J. Zhang, S. W. Fan, and D.H. Zhang, “Bulk and surface sp half-metallic ferromagnetism in alkali metal pnictides with rocksalt structure: a first-principles calculation”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21, 275502 (2009).
14. G. Y. Gao∗ and K. L. Yao∗, “Half-metallic sp-electron ferromagnets in rock-salt structure: The case of SrC and BaC”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 082512 (2007).
15. G. Y. Gao∗, K. L. Yao∗, E. Sasioglu∗, L. M. Sandratskii, Z. L. Liu, and J. L. Jiang, “Half-metallic ferromagnetism in zinc-blende CaC, SrC, and BaC from first-principles”, Phys. Rev. B 75, 174442 (2007).
• Huazhong Scholar (Morning Star), HUST, 2012
• Excellent Ph.D. dissertation of Hubei Province, 2009
• 6th top 10 excellent graduated students of HUST, 2007
• Natural Science Foundation of Hubei Province, Grant No. 2015CFB419 (2015-2016)
• Physical Experiment of College (undergraduate student)
• Frontier of Condensed Matter Physics (graduate student)