Phone: (027) 87543755
Academic Areas: Materials Chemistry and Physics
Research Interests: Mechanical properties, phase transitions and potential applications of metal-organic frameworks
Dr. Li Received his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2008. In the same year, he took up an assistant professor position in the National Engineering Research Centre for Compounding and Modification of Polymeric Materials. From 2009 to 2014, he worked in the Department of materials Science at the University of Cambridge under supervision of Prof. Tony Cheetham. Since 2015, he joined the School of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, as a full professor of materials science. In the past two years he has raised a number of fundings from NSFC and Chinese Academy of Sciences. Dr. Li has extensive connections with the leading researchers globally. His main research interests include mechanical properties, phase transitions and potential applications of metal-organic frameworks.
Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, 2008, Chinese Academy of Sciences
BSc. In General Chemistry, 2003, Inner Mongolian Normal University
2015 — present, professor, School of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
2009 —2014, Research Associate, Department of Materials Science, University of Cambridge
2008 —2009, Assistant Professor, National Engineering Research Centre for Compounding and Modification of Polymeric Materials (NERCP)
1. W. Li*, S. Henke*, A. K. Cheetham, “Research Update: Mechanical properties of metal-organic frameworks – Influence of structure and chemical bonding”, APL Mater., 2014, 2, 123902. (Invited Review Paper)
2. X. Jiang, S. Luo, L., P. Gong, W. Yao, H. Huang, W. Li,* R. Huang, W. Wang, Y. Li, X. Li, X. Wu, P. Lu, L. Li, C. Chen,
Z. Lin*, “Isotropic Negative Area Compressibility over Large Pressure Range in Potassium Beryllium Fluoroborate and Its Potential Applications in Deep Ultraviolet Region”, Adv. Mater., 2015, 27, 4851-4857.
3. W. Li, A. Thirumurugan, P. T. Barton, Z. Lin, S. Henke, H. H-M Yeung, M. T. Wharmby, E. G. Bithell, C. J. Howard, A. K. Cheetham, “Mechanical tunability via hydrogen bonding in metal-organic frameworks with the perovskite architecture, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136, 7801-7804.
4. E. C. Spencer†, M. S. R. N. Kiran†, W. Li*†, U. Ramamurty, N. L. Nancy, A. K. Cheetham, “Pressure-induced reversible phase transformation associated with bond rearrangement in a metal-organic framework”, Angew. Chem. Int. Edit., 2014, 53, 5583-5586.
5. W. Li, Z. Zhang, E. G. Bithell, A. S. Batsanov, P. T. Barton, P. J. Saines, P. Jain, C. J. Howard, M. A. Carpenter, A. K. Cheetham, “Ferroelasticity in a Metal-Organic Framework Perovskite; towards to a new class of multiferroics”, Acta Mater.,
2013, 61, 4928-4938.
• National Natural Science Foundation of China, Grant No. 21571072.
• Undergraduate Physics-Practicals;
• Ultrafast Optics.